How to flash Samsung Stock/Official ROM via Odin
After rooting with Kingo Android Root...
Your Samsung device may experience following "symptoms":
- Device status will become "Custom/Modified", instead of "Official";
- Go to Settings > About device > Status > Device Status > Custom
- Boot into download mode and find out system status is Custom
- Cannot receive OTA update.
And you may wonder...
- How to restore phone status from "Custom/Modified" to "Official"?
- How to receive OTA update after rooting?
There is one direct and most effective solution for both - that is to flash the Stock/Official ROM (original firmware) via specific tools.
This tutorial can also be followed to...
- Restore your firmware when your device is soft-bricked;
- In the event you think your stock ROM is faulty;
- Flash back to a previous version on your Samsung device.
Flash Samsung Stock ROM (Official/Original Firmware) via Odin
If you have used Kingo android Root already, skip this step. Otherwise, do it manually. Following are ways to do this...
- Visit Samsung official website to find the correspondent driver software.
- Google the driver software of your device. Download and then install it on you computer.
- Download or update Kies, part of which will install or update drivers.
Once drivers are installed or updated, it is highly recommended that you restart your computer.
Click "Firmware" and enter your device model
Select country or type in certain info to filter, eg.Baseband version.
After downloading it (normally a compressed file), you need to extact/unzip it to certain location of your PC. The file types that Odin uses are *.bin,*.tar and *.tar.md5.
Find the file you have downloaded and then unzip it to Desktop.
You will find a *.md5 file after extracting.
You can download Odin V3.10.7 directly from SamMobile. AndroidMTK is a fine alternative, it also offers a detailed list of Odin versions and download link. Or you can always Google "Odin download". After downloading it on your PC, extract it to Desktop or another location you'd prefer.
Odin v3.10.7 zip file.
After extracting, right-click to "Open as Administrator". It may prevent certain issue from happening.
Run Odin as administartor is recommended.
Follow these steps to enter Download Mode/Odin Mode
- Power off your device
- Press and hold Volume Down key, Home Key and Power Key
- When your device vibrates, release Power key while keep holding the Volume Down key and Home key
- Press Volume Up key to enter Download mode, which has a green robot figure and “Downloading… Do not turn off target!!)
Warning before entering into download mode
Now you are in download mode.
You device should be automatically recognized by Odin. At the lower-left of Odin interface, it should show a message that says "Added!" and in the meantime you should see a light-blue box at the ID:COM section stating "COM:3" (the number depend on which USB port you have plugged the device cable and is irrelevant).
Device is connected to Odin.
Whether it is "PDA" or "AP" depends on the version of Odin that you used. But the md5 file goes to either "PDA" or "AP".
Add *.md5 to Odin.
After adding the file, click "Start" to begin the flashing process.
Click "Start" to flash.
WARNING DO NOT REMOVE OR OPERATE ON YOUR DEVICE UNTIL FINISHED OR FAILED IS SHOWED ON ODIN.
Ongoing flashing process. Do not remove your device.
When the flashing process is done and if everything goes well, you should see a big green box saying "RESET" or "PASSED" (depends on the version of Odin is used). By now, the device should be rebooted and it is safe to remove/unplug your device.
If failed, what should you do?
Try these things first:
- Update your device driver software to the latest.
- Restart your computer.
- Run Odin as Administrator.
- Try different cable (original one or the one with better quality) and USB port (the main port recommended)
- Re-download the firmware file, make sure it is intact and match your device model
KingoRoot on Windows
KingoRoot Android on Windows has the highest success rate. It supports almost any Android device and version.
KingoRoot for Android
KingoRoot for Android is the most convenient and powerful apk root tool. Root any Android device and version without connecting to PC.
- How to Root Android without Computer (APK ROOT without PC)
- How to Root Android with KingoRoot (PC Version)
- How to Root Android 6.0/6.0.1 (Marshmallow) with KingoRoot APK
- How to Get Root Access on Android 6.0/6.0.1 Marshmallow devices with KingoRoot
- How to root Android 5.0/5.1 (Lollipop) with KingoRoot APK
- How to Root Android 4.4 KitKat (4.4.2 & 4.4.4) with KingoRoot
- How to Root Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with KingoRoot
- How to Root Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with KingoRoot
- How to Root ZTE in One Click with KingoRoot Android
- How to Root Lenovo in One Click with KingoRoot Android